Subscribe Now: standard

16 March 2012

Scouse Language Rules For Beginners

I looked at my blog stats earlier & I've had page views from: United Kingdom, Russia, USA, Netherlands, Germany, Canada & Sweden. Still no followers yet people :-( but I'm hoping that will change. Holds breath! 

I'm a bit of a word geek & love the different words people use & how locally they can mean so many different things. I'm from Liverpool, Britain & we Scousers have some strange sayings & words. I thought I'd write down some of the ones that stand out for me. Feel free to share yours too.

Weird Words
Lah: A term of endearment. Example: "Alright lah hows it going". "Not bad lah, just off to the pics".

Gegging In: Old reference I remember being used in school to describe a tool that is pushing into a queue in front of you. Example: "Eh lah stop gegging in & get to the back". Or can be used to describe someone butting into a conversation that has nowt to do with them.

Come Ed: Simply means come over here or come on. I thought everyone said this until I went to Uni, when friends thought I was insulting them by calling them a "Cum Ed" :-)

Scouse Dialect
No word beginning with TH is pronounced as such. It becomes a D.  Example: They = De, Though = Doh.
No word beginning with a H is pronounced. So "Look at her hair over there", becomes "Look at er air over der"

Harry Enfield made "De do doh dont de doh" famous in Britain through his comedy sketches. This translates into "They do though, don't they though".

Check out the link below for "Come Head" at 1mins 42secs. "De do doh dont de doh" at 2mins 43secs. 

Well my more than random post is over. I know, I know, 'thank god' is what you're thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment